Monday, October 31, 2011

Blogtoberfest Day 31: Thrifty Hallowe'en

Not too much thrifting this weekend due to the number of concerts and services in which the family was involved and me feeling poorly. On Thursday, my husband was told that the orchestra were expected to wear costumes for the Family Adventures Concerts on Saturday and Student Matinees today and tomorrow. Since he is required to play his instrument while in costume there are certain possibilities that would be out of the question i.e. anything that limits movement or the ability to hold the instrument, restricts vision or causes difficulty sitting are off limits. This year he did not have enough lead up time to really get creative but recently I found an Aussie cowboy hat that looks really good on him. On Friday we went to the closest Sally Ann looking for cowboy boots and found them! I really thought it would be a long shot but there they were.


Here he is showing off the hat while hiding behind its big, black brim. I suppose it wound up at the thrift store as a discarded tourist's souvenir just like all the beautiful Australian tea towels that I find. I have another Aussie 'drover's' hat that belonged to my Nanan. She regularly visited Australia to see her sister and her family and her older son. She loved to wear hats and encouraged my love at a very early age so I am thrilled to have her hat as well as this one.







We are really starting to feel the chill and the furnace is on at least a little bit everyday so I was happy to find furnace filters at the thrift store for less than half of their price at the hardware store. The crafty/nesting urge has brought me into our family room to do some handwork. This handwork basket is a recent find and has just the right amount of 'Granny Chic" to make me happy! It is the perfect size to put my felted sweater projects while I am working on them.


Since I found it, I have seen similar work baskets that have been made over but I am quite happy with the way it looks as it is and will give a full view in a future post. I have quite a few other projects on the go, including another sewing basket/stool so it is a relief to find thrift store items that do not require alteration. After searching for a long time, I have not been able to find a good craft/reading/task light when thrifting so we ended up buying retail this lamp. While the company makes a dedicated craft lamp, this one was less expensive and suited the room.



The youngest two 'shopped' for their costumes in our house. The youngest decided to fuse a clown costume with a skull mask which created the creepy, scary result he desired while his older brother opted for a 'nerd' costume. I really appreciated how creative they both were, working with what we have. It was a much more stimulating exercise than going shopping, even at the thrift store, for stuff that we will not need after Hallowe'en.


For other thrifty inspiration check out all the blogs that have linked with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday.

8 comments:

Nick said...

Aussie,Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi! Jeez, I wish I had had a hat on last Sunday...I got burnt to buggery!

Yes, the sad thing is I really speak loike that (except for the chant!) Isn't it funny, you are speaking about heating and experiencing cold, and I am getting burnt and jumping in the swimming pool when I get home!

MyFancy's Author said...

Costumes put together at home are much more fun and creative... as well as economical. Yay for you all!

Anne said...

You and I are thrift shop sisters! I love the basket project... i'm using one of my own thrift baskets for my embroidery, but its nowhere as cute as yours!

Mid Mod Mom said...

That is a great hat! The basket is lovely too. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Cool finds, especially the Aussie ones!

gardener-b said...

Shopping the home is the most creative thrifting of all.

Emily said...

I love the costumes! Very creative. My brother was a priest. Cheap and funny costume -- black shirt and slacks and a collar. He was quite convincing!

SixBalloons said...

Whoa that IS scary and creepy! Shudder. Clowns.