Monday, March 2, 2009

Vintage Goodies


While I love vintage items of all sorts, I am particularily drawn to all things domestic. That love sings with vintage sewing and needlework supplies. I did my first hand sewing at my Mother's knees when I was about four and have fond memories of sorting through her buttons. When I am in the thrift stores, I always search for buttons, ric-rack, bias tape and anything else from someone's sewing basket. When I bring my new finds home, I take them out of the plastic bags that usually keeps it all together and start to sort what I really have. When I have fully enjoyed wondering what projects the buttons that are off the card were used for or how most of a package of seam binding remains, I collect my treasure onto a tray or other vintage containers to display. The display often remains on the dining room table for a couple of weeks, where I continue to enjoy it and get inspiration for new projects. I enjoy viewing items that I collect but I enjoy them most in changing displays with relatively little clutter around them.