Friday, October 14, 2011

Blogtoberfest Day 14: Autumnal China On the Table

Usually my taste does not favour the colours of the Fall for linens and china. All of that goes out the window when the leaves actually are bright gold, orange and red. Growing up on Canada's West Coast I did not experience the dramatic changes in the colours of the foliage as the season changes. While I find the dramatic extremes of temperature difficult, the show of Fall colours helps me find enjoyment in this climate. Our dining room is often the focus of my seasonal vignettes. With the room used for occasional eating and, often homework, it is a struggle to keep the large expanse of table clutter free. Regular change of the linens and other decorative items helps a bit, just like inviting people over usually prompts us to put away the little bit of clutter to which we are accustomed. The pumpkin tablecloth is a rough woven linen from Sweden. I purchased it from a former neighbor at her garage sale at least 15 years ago. The tin canister I blogged about last week along with the red Pyrex bowl. The squash and gourds are on a large cake plate that was my Grandmother's. I will post more detail about it soon!

The cream pitcher and bowl were found on separate occasions at different thrift stores! They are marked Leda, Wedgwood & Co Ltd with information indicating that they were not made by the more famous Josiah Wedgwood Company coming from this fascinating UK site: www.thepotteries.org/. I love these pieces but not so much that I would commit to it being my only set. Fortunately, bits and pieces work very well with other similarly coloured china.


The small beeswax candle in the first picture is held by this saucer made by Alfred Meakin. The stamp on the back indicates that it was made after 1937 and that the pattern is 'Marigold'. While it would be lovely to have the matching cup, the little candle works well. Beeswax candles are suitable for indoor air quality which is especially important as the weather cools and we are indoors with the windows shut. The antique brass candlestick was a gift from a former neighbor and I believe was hand made in Nova Scotia. The beeswax taper was thrifted as was the large pillar candle in the centre of the arrangement. I could not believe my luck finding such a large beeswax candle at the thrift store. My Father kept bees and my Mother made candles with the beeswax. I remember how precious the wax was and how many hives it took to produce such a substantial candle. I love the sparkle that candlelight brings to the shortening days and follow the Scandinavian practise of adding that sparkle to late afternoon as the daylight fades. Another important addition to air quality is the use of houseplants. Chrysanthemums are especially noted for reducing indoor air pollution so they are not only decorative but useful. Buying a locally grown flowering plant is often less expensive than cut flowers and, with qualities good for our health, seems like a very thrifty purchase.

I am again joining the "Show and Tell" hosted at My Romantic Home where other bloggers give us a peak at their treasures.

3 comments:

gardener-b said...

Not my favourite colours for decorating but with the golden light of Autumn, I, too, fall temporarily in love with these colours. Nothing else seems so right.

my thrifty closet said...

delightful tea sets, can't get enough of them, I have to stop myself from thrifting some more. I like your pumpkin dinner table set up, the pumpkin cloth is cute too!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog btw!

love,mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

thrift shopper for peace said...

My husband's family is from Ottawa so i've had the privilege of being there in every season and autumn is my favourite. It wasn't until i was there in fall that i really understood why the maple leaf is on our flag. We traveled in the Haliburton HIghlands one fall and i just cried at the beauty of what i was seeing. It really is unspeakably lovely.